Pages

Monday 17 September 2018

Khiva to Bukhara - Kyzylkum Desert, River Oxus and Border Force.

Today was a five hour bus trip across the Kyzylkum Desert - or Red Desert.  According to our guide, it was named because when temperatures climbed to 70 degrees, the sand/soil appeared red.

Leaving Urgench - random shots from the bus.  Still green and settled.


The Kyzylkum Desert - random shots from the bus.






We pulled in to see the River Oxus, or Amu Darya.
Looking in the other direction.  Our guide pointed out the observation post, with armed guard.

So I zoomed in.  This was what I saw - he was the guy with gun, all I had was a camera,  so I held my breath. I wondered why Uzbekistan had a refugee problem (after all, why else do you need a Border Force?!)  I was told that the problem was drug smugglers, not people smugglers.
And a train!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.