Pages

Saturday 6 July 2019

Altitude

We both felt the effects of altitude.  This trip was not my first experience of high altitude, and I was not particularly relishing the prospect. But the strangest thing is that recovery is sudden and (almost) compete, unlike getting over a cold that can drag on for a few days.

We flew into Cuzco (approx 3400m).  We stopped at a market which was about 3.800m  It was here that KM became dizzy and began to lose colour from his vision.  The accompanying doctor reassured him he would be ok when we descended to our hotel in the Sacred Valley (2.800m).

Then it was my turn.  That night I had a headache and vomited.  Eventually slept and saw the doc the next morning.  Out of his pocket he pulled some anti-nausea medicine, so took one.  He advised that the dosage we were taking for altitude sickness prevention was too high so we cut down the dose.  I don't follow the logic, but I am not the doc.  We also wondered what else he had in his pockets!

After that, all was well.  The day at MP, about 2,400m, gave us some relief and we have survived our return to 2,800m.  We still can't walk at our usual pace (let alone ring any bells I am sure) but at least we are not fainting or vomiting!  Tonight we return to Cuzco, so will see how we go with the additional 600m in a short time.

I am glad there are no other famous sites that I want to see at high altitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.