Pages

Saturday 6 February 2016

MRT idiosyncracies

I got out my old EZLink card (stored value transport card) for Singapore's MRT.   The machine told me it was expired!  Was given a list of stations where it could be exchanged for a current one.

But too easy.  When I got to a ticket office, I was told that it would cost me $S3 to exchange for a new one.  What,  said I, there was a $5 deposit.  Yes, said she, new one $5, renew $3.  I said how come MRT never loses, always me who loses.  She offered to take the $3 off the balance - apparently there was S$11 on my expired card.  I should be grateful they didn't take that I suppose.  Anyhow, I have a brand new MRT card, current for 7 years.  Equivalent to renting the card for about fifty cents a year.  Wonder why Gladys didn't think of that for NSW.

In Singapore, there is no daily cap, no free rides after so many trips.  As I said, MRT never loses.  At least Gladys with her OPAL gave the commuters a sporting chance, even though her successor is moving to plug the loopholes.




Another little MRT snippet.  I had to resort to a standard ticket until my card was brought back from the dead.  I bought a fare to one station, but got off a station earlier, and found that I had insufficient money!! The attendant attempted to explain that fares were calculated by distance not "station distance".   Oh well.  Another 20c bites the dust - MRT never loses!