Pages

Tuesday 20 February 2018

Mishti Doi - and other food - so far!

West Bengal is known for its sweets, and thanks to Ashok, we know about Mishti Doi.  So I was delighted to find it on the buffet at breakfast!  Now I know what to aim for - I think.  Delicious, and sweet.  Flavours reminiscent of condensed milk, but more complex and without the sticky texture.
But I suspect the offering at our lunch today was closer to the real thing.  Just beautiful.  Lovely sweet and tart flavours, set in an earthenware pot.  We declined the accompanying betel leaf!  I bought the cookbook.


Lunch was at Kewpies Restaurant.  The guide wasn't keen, but we persisted.  Here she is checking it out for us.  I could see why - it is like eating in someones house. 
But we enjoyed the Bengali food, choosing the variety of a thali. This was just the beginning.


Empty bowls!
There is a plenty of street food.  Here are two chai stalls.


Back to our hotel.
How to serve watermelon!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys are really having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ......and I thought that I was eating too much over the first few days of CNY......hahaha. Glad that your India trip is turning out great, KM......see ya when you're next in Singapore. TTFN.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe a respite from excessive eating our Varanasi hotel is vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.