Pages

Tuesday 11 April 2023

New Norcia - Australia's only monastic town and a piece of cake.

Many years ago, I bought a delicious Nut Cake in a deli - in Melbourne - I can't remember.  I looked to see where it was from - it was from New Norcia in WA.  I asked a WA person about this place and she filled me in.  But we still didn't get there on our next visit to Perth.  At over 100kms, and without a car, it wasn't easy.

Then, when we were walking in Spain, we visited Samos, a Benedictine monastery.  There was some mention there of New Norcia, as a "brother" monastery.

This visit, we have a car so penciled in today for the long awaited visit.  I could say salvation was a piece of cake!

Details of the history are here.  

The Abbey Church.


 


Blurb

 

Inside

And the tomb of the founder, Rosando Salvado who died in 1900. You couldn't get anywhere near it, so this is maximum zoom.

NewNorica has made an apology for the usual sins of the church.  Details here


The monastery today.  Off limits.  According to Wikipedia, there are 16 resident monks.  I recall Samos, in 2014, having 13.

Blurb


 The monastery


Another building - St Ildephonsus College


They grow their own olives to make oil...  These were quite juicy, but I know why they process them - too bitter otherwise.


Random shots of New Norcia.

In the carpark.


Street view
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.