Pages

Wednesday 4 October 2023

J'ai rhume et mon nez coule. Navigating french pharmacies!

I came down with a cold (rhume)  yesterday. The downside of a group tour and dinners - I know where it came from - I think..

But there is also an opportunity to improve your French.  After an unsuccessful attempt to buy something for my runny nose (nez qui coule!), I came back to the laptop and translated my symptoms and the ingredients I was hoping to get - what is usually in Codral or similar.

It worked!  And so has the medicine.

There seems to be a pharmacie in every block (no Chemist Warehouse here).  Numbers are restricted and space is left at the counter to provide privacy when you talk to the pharmacist.  In one pharmacy in Reims, only a limited number were allowed in the shop at a time. 

Not only that, if you want anything - eg cough mixture, Panadol - you have to talk to a pharmacist.  Much tighter control than we are used to.


 

I skipped the tour yesterday and we had a quiet day today.  We had a look at Les Halles (covered food markets), always a delight in France.  Then we went walking this afternoon to look at the Seine and then have a drink and dinner. 

Some pics from the last two days


Sea food.  We remembered pulpo(octopus)  from Spain...




 Mushrooms - including some strange (to us) ones.  Wonder if she went foraging?!

General view

My morning tea yesterday.  A fig tart with almonds.  There is more than one fig on top - it was almost healthy!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.