Pages

Saturday 14 October 2023

Musee d'Orsay, Van Gogh and lunch


We couldn't believe our luck.  The Musee d'Orsay is hosting an exhibition of Van Gogh's works that he painted while he was at Auvers-sur-Oise, about 30 kms north of Paris.   He went there in May 1890 after a year in an asylum in the south of France.  He stayed there for about 70 days, did a similar number of paintings and  this was where he committed suicide.  It is also where he is buried.

It so happens that the three of us (including Yvonne) had been to Auvers on a previous trip to Paris.  All I knew to look for then was Dr Gachet's house, Auberge Ravoux where he stayed, the church at Auvers (we have a copy bought in Shenzen, China!) and his grave.


Paintings from many collections had been gathered for this exhibition.  It was special.  Some pics.  Just lovely to see these.  It was very crowded. And absolutely no restriction on photography.

The church at Auvers. 

He did some still life paintings (nature morts) while at Auvers.  This was my favourite. 

His notebook with preparatory sketches was there.  He could actually draw!

I kept an eye out for the crows - the full name is Wheatfield with Crows.  Quite a foreboding picture - I wouldn't hang it in my home.  But those lovely yellow fields of wheat, the stormy sky, the indeterminate roads, and the crows above it all are somehow engaging.  I never really liked crows.  When I was growing up, I saw what they did to sheep, and chickens.


Some others from the exhibition.





And afterwards, this famous one - Starry Night over the Rhone.  It was painted in Arles in 1888 and is in the permanent collection of Musee d'Orsay.  Close up, it just sparkled.

After that, we looked for lunch.  We were hungry and walked past the restaurant on the way to the cafe.  But with an empty tummy and a lovely restaurant - an opportunity not to be missed!  Kin Mun took a selfie.

But for me, dessert is the main game! This is the Horloge (Clock), created by Alain Ducasse.  The closest I will get to his restaurant, I suspect!  The waiter told me it was (imagine a french man gesturing delicious!)  ....  - and he was right.


This meal was the last legitimate use of Kin Mun's credit card.  After that, we walked straight  to the waiting pickpockets - and I hadn't had any wine.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.