Pages

Monday 29 June 2015

British Museum

Today we walked to the British Museum - as they say in London, about a 15 minute walk. (Yesterday, one distance was said to be a 7 minute walk - not sure how they work all that out!).

There was a long queue - along the entrance block plus down the other side - but it moved at a reasonable pace - we queued for 20 minutes, so that wasn't too bad.



BL got an audio guide and checked out the Greek and other stuff.  I headed for the Australian Indigenous exhibition.

It was well done, and didn't dodge the role of the British colonisers in the story, and outlined the debates still occurring in Australia.

There were some videos of people in typical Aus settings, with sounds to match.  It was a fond reminder for me - a familiar landscape and sounds that are so different to where I have been for the past 2 weeks.

And I could hear English accents around me saying they wanted to visit Australia, and one (English) lady commented "It's an eye-opener isn't it".  

Then I went to another exhibition on mummies - some artificially embalmed, some naturally mummified in the desert.  And these people had names.   CT scanning revealed their physical state.  They all seemed to have bad teeth with abscesses, and the Egyptians were prone to atherosclerosis.

BL has left for the airport and tomorrow I make way to Duxford.  I expect Spitfires and Lancasters galore.